Wednesday, June 1, 2011

If You Read My Blog... You'll Win a Trophy!!!

Well, not really, but it brings me to my point.

As some of you know, my husband and I are finally going to be parents. We were matched with a birth mother and our baby will is due in a few months.

I made a comment today at work about how if our child wanted to play on a sports team that gave out "participation trophies", that I would not let him play for that team.

The reaction to that statement would make someone think that I killed a puppy, and the "discussion" became very intense. I won't go into the gory details, but I felt that no matter what I said, I was just not going to be understood.

I still stand by my opinion. I think that participation trophies are ridiculous. I guess I grew up during a time where trophies were earned, something that you worked hard to get and if your team lost, it made you want to work that much harder next time.

Have I changed my mind about letting our child participate on a team that has participation trophies? I guess we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

4 comments:

Random Blonde said...

I agree with you but they are unavoidable - at least around here. I just try not to make a big deal about it. Your example teaches more than the gift.

So excited for September!!!

Nonna said...

I agree but it's called a 'participation trophy' so I really don't have a problem with it. A few years ago in a movie called " One Fine Day" that was of major concern to the parent and child...just part of the thinking now. There are winners and losers in life but being a part of a team, even if you lose teaches great lessons too !

Something that is so cute but really bugs me more is Preschool and Kindergarten graduation...more for bragging rights for the parents than the children !

When you come to that bridge, you will know what to do that is best for your family...

Doug & April said...

I'm good with "participation ribbons", that's what was handed out when I was young, not trophies.

I agree with your point Tammy. Now....do I get a trophy???!! LOL

Unknown said...

Could not agree with you more. Participation should not itself deserve an award. The award is the simple act of participating - no further award necessary. We are breeding a generation of kids that think they deserve a pat on the back just for breathing. It's pretty pathetic. It starts with preschool and kindergarden "graduation ceremonies". They did not "graduate", they basically attended nursery school where they learned to share, cut with scissors and maybe color in the lines. Yes, it's all life skills, but a ceremony to celebrate it? Crazy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails